Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Moving from Windows 7 to Mac OS Snow Leopard

I was in the market for a new Laptop, given that mine is at least 3 years old and starting to show its age with non-working USB ports, one blown power supply, and failing batteries. My requirements are slightly above the average:
Any laptop must be able to run the following at the same time within a hosted virtualization solution such as VMware Workstation or Fusion.
  • VMware vSphere ESX 4
  • VMware vSphere ESX 4i
  • VMware vCenter Server on Windows 2008
  • Virtual Storage Appliance (I use OpenFiler at the moment)
  • Firewall
  • Development Environment for my security script
Now I have all this running on my older Duo Core laptop within 8GBs of memory and multiple USB disks and let me tell you, it runs SLOWLY but it will run. I was in the market for something much faster and perhaps with more memory.
So I was in essence looking at a 16GB i7 laptop, but I settled for an 8GB i7 laptop with a 512GB SSD that “Just Works.” I was all set to plunk down cash on a Windows 7 based laptop when I went on the Gestalt IT Tech Field Day and found out that my camera would not stream video and required me to reboot several times in the midst of the briefings. This was just too many reboots during a critical time. I do not believe that ‘fixing’ a problem should require a reboot. A reboot just covers up the problems. My First attempt at a fix was to purchase a Microsoft HD Life Camera, but the video quality was worse than my Logitech HD camera all in all not very satisfactory.
I really agonized over this decision, I had to make sure my applications were all available on the Mac. Most if not all were, and after talking to my friend who was a long-time Mac owner, I switched back to a Mac (actually my first every computer purchase was a Mac IIsi followed soon by the MacBook Duo and up until last year I owned a Mac G4). I knew my VMs would run within 8GBs as they already did, so extra memory was not a huge issue. The big issue was to invest in SSD over standard drives. Now that was a great decision. So soon I was the proud owner of a 15″ MackBook Pro i7 with 8GBs of RAM and a 512GB SSD.
Now what did I install on this MacBook Pro?
Paid Applications:
  • VMware Fusion 3.0 which now runs in Unity mode my two applications I already owned for Microsoft Windows and use quite often: Visio 2007 and QuickBooks 2010.
  • Codeweavers CrossOver Office (in which I could run Visio 2007 but choose not to do so). I do run IE6 within CrossOver office however, only way to talk to my very old Tape Library.
  • Codeweavers CrossOver Games (still need to install those games but that should not be difficult seeing as I have already done this for Linux.)
  • Microsoft Office Mac (I already owned a copy)
  • Final Cut Express (Pre-installed)
  • Belkin F5L009 – (USB over Ethernet) to access my Printer
  • Livescribe Desktop – I already owned the Pulse Smart Pen
  • FlipShare – I need access to my Flip Videos
  • Little Snitch – An application based port filtering firewall as I really wanted to know what was going on. Thanks to Scott Lowe for pointing me to this little gem.
  • Trillian – I own an professional account on this service for all my IM Needs
  • Emailchemy – I had to switch my mail from Outlook to my Mac mail application, first I tried Entourage but that was a bust so I now use the Mac Mail.app even with its quirks
  • Transmit – So I can upload those book files easier (I have not paid for this yet, I may switch to Cyberduck, but I still need to test with the file server.)
Now for the Free Applications
  • Skype – gotta keep in touch. I actually can use the Windows Beta with multiple video streams inside Fusion but it has a few issues with echos
  • Remote Desktop Connection – Still the best way to reach Windows boxes necessary for VMware management
  • FireFox – I prefer this to Safari and Chrome actually, but use all to test websites.
  • SnagIt Beta – I use SnagIt on Windows and wish to continue to use SnagIt on Mac to capture images. It is what I know and has a powerful image editor.
  • Tweetie – for all those tweets. I tried twhirl but my friend said it drains battery being an Air App
  • DropBox – For File sharing
  • Chicken of the VNC – So that I can access all those Linux desktops not using XRDP
  • Tunnelblick – For my OpenVPN connection
  • Xcode and X11 – I do develop code so why not!
  • Adobe Air – while it does drain battery, I have need for this for an upcoming product from a friend of mine for whom I do some beta work
  • Windows Media Components for QuickTime – Gotta view those WMVs everyone posts.
Now for the Extras as in Hardware
  • Speck Clear Hard Case (While at EMC World I noticed quite a few of these on MacBooks and I liked the look and feel of the case. The MBP needs a little extra protection).
  • 85w MagSafe Power Supply (I picked up a second one so I could have one for travel.)
  • USB to PS/2 connector (My laptop hooks to my PS/2 KVMs and the second one I bought works on Linux but not the MBP. The one I bought YEARS ago for the Mac G4 works great with the MBP.)
  • Griffen iMic (I have a very good wand Mic that is best for using Skype, etc. as it is unidirectional and it is not amplified so need a tool that would do that for me.)
There you go. Now I have a laptop that “Just Works”, boots quickly, and plays all my music with no major issues.



Putty for Mac
Putty for Mac
$15.00

https://winereviews.onfastspring.com/putty-for-mac



No comments: